BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Commentary on Prop 8 from a friend

One of my friends sent me this email. I wanted to post it because I thought it was very worth while to read.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

I am writing to address the increasing concern over reaction to the church over prop 8 in California. I just want to send out my perspective into the world and hopefully it will give people a different view point.

I first want people to know that I have a firm testimony of Jesus Christ,His Restored Church, Joseph Smith, inspired leaders and especially a Prophet of God who leads us under the personal guidance of the Savior. I know I am a son of God.
The next thing you should know about me is I struggle with same sex attraction. Some people would say that means I'm gay. Many people today would say because of how I feel I should be out protesting temple square, fighting for gay rights, and leaving the church. To this I simply go back to my testimony, and that leads me to my thoughts...

It appears in the world and even in the church, people are losing focus of what is right and what is wrong. Some advocate that people are people, they should be treated equally (instead of fairly), and all should have the same life, no matter what their choices. My thoughts are this simple regarding same sex marriage. If people choose to live a lifestyle that goes against the majority of religions, they should choose a union created by man and not God and the majority of religions. Marriage, a sacred covenant, should be between a man and a woman.

On the other hand, in God's Kingdom, I am seeing some ignorance and almost hate towards people we may not understand. We sometimes look down on people with out knowing where they came from or what brought them to this point.

So what can we do?

Let's come together and learn. Let us build each other up. Let us pray for stronger testimonies and follow the Savior.

Here is a great link that I would love for everyone to read. I think it will give you some great council from Elder Oaks on Same Gender Attraction.

http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/public-issues/same-gender-attraction

One closing ramble. Many feel unsettled in these times and that evil and wickedness are all around us. On my way to work this morning, I looked up to the cloud covered mountains and felt a tender mercy from the Lord. It was as though he created a special piece of artwork just for me. I testify that God is all around us if we look. He loves us, his Children. In this time of trouble, we are not being asked to abandon our temples or to die for the truth, but simply to have faith in God and trust him.

With all the love in my heart I plead that we may all become a Zion people,

-Name Withheld

0 comments: